The World Of Curiosity (CCP:idea)

Everybody has some sort of curiosity whether it was when they were younger, or as an adult.  Edmund Burke said it best: “the first  and simplest emotion  which we discover in the human mind is curiosity”(burke). Curiosity can come from anywere and anybody, whenever  a person wants to know how or why someone does something. According to Francois de La Rochefoucauld, “There are various sorts of curiosity; one is from interest, which makes us desire to know that which may be useful to us; and the other, from pride which comes from the wish to know what others are ignorant of”(rochefoucauld).

Since curiosity isn’t new and so common, it would only be right to ask how does curiosity work? To some people this would be a trick question, to others no. That’s even if there is an answer. Curiosity  is something that evolves around us daily. For  example, we may wonder how many people are up in the world at seven a.m. everyday or are tigers a great pet to have in the house. We humans have the tendency to go above and beyond in doing whatever we put our mind to, and it is our curiosity drives us to go so beyond. An example of that would be a man’s car breaking down on the side of the road, but he doesn’t know why. He will work under his hood for hours until he finds the problem. That’s his curiosity driving him to find out what caused his car to break down. He will go beyond to find out.

This is how our mind works when it comes to curiosity. Curiosity can go a long way when it comes to us humans it can drive us to a happier  life and open up possibilities that we could have never seen coming. Curious people are seekers. They not only enjoy new experiences, but mostly look for challenges that will stretch them, whether that involves making new friendships, learning new skills, or pushing themselves to do their best work. Everyone knows or at least  has an idea of what curiosity feels like.

Curiosity is our motivation that drives us,  Curiosity is more than just having an open mind. As e. e. cummings would say, “once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit”(Cummings). I think when curiosity comes within the mind, it’s almost like a baby bee: as bees grow and become free, they start to do and find new things that either they must know, or want to know. That only leads us to ask this question “what is a curious person like”? to me,  Bradford E Beckwith  answered it perfect by saying

Someone who is on a mission. There is a sense of purpose, especially when they’re pursuing whatever it is that they are curious about.They are obsessed, almost. Possessed may be a little bit exaggerated, but they have a sense of purpose in their life and they need to find out why. What’s going on? Why is this happening? And I’m going to find out the solution to that.(Beckwith)

Although there are millions of curious people In the world, Did anyone teach them? My classmate Cal started being curious after his journey visiting the other side of the world as a child, “Without that child piquing my interest and kindling my curiosity in traveling and learning about the world, it is conceivable that I would not be the same person I am today”(Cal). That statement let’s you know what makes a person curious along with letting you know curiosity comes at any age.

My other class mate Jill is into movies as she says “watching a movie is not about the twists and turns of the plot, but instead about the way the film was made. The way the director chooses to shoot a scene”(Tucker). She states her curiosity about movies and what she is interested in like the reviews, actors and etc.

Some things we will never know the facts to, It all comes down to that one question that keeps coming back:why are people so curious about different things?I think we can all agree that curiosity comes in all sort of forms and can be discussed on a lot of different topics. I think its safe to say that, Curiosity works within your mind and drive and wanting to do or learn what ever it is you are interested in.

Work Citied:
Brainyquote. 20 Jan. web.5 March 2014.
Burke, Edmund. Brainyquote. Web. 24 Mar. 2014.
Beckwith, Bradford. Discovery. “Curiosity.”  Web. 23 Mar. 2014.
Cummings, Edward. Brainyquote. Web. 24 Mar.2014.
Cal, “Inception of A Curious Mind” “My English 101 blog” 13 Feb.2014. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.
Francois, Rochefoucauld. Brainyquote. Web. 24 Mar. 2014.
Psychologies.Co.Uk  Psychologies.Co.Uk Self Curiosity the Secret to Your Success
Tucker, Jill  Why Are Each of Us Curious About Different Things? “Jill Tucker” 13 Feb. 2014. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.